Fred Baldassare, P.G.
Consulting Services - experience and expertise in gas and groundwater geochemistry
- Fred Baldassare has 25 years of experience as a geologist and more than 19 years of experience and expertise in the investigation
of stray gas migration incidents and the application and interpretation of molecular and isotope geochemistry. Fred's research has
helped to pioneer the application of isotope geochemistry to identify and characterize the origin and source of naturally occurring
gases, stray gases, dissolved, and gas phase gases in soils, aquifers, shallow formations and natural gas producing formations
throughout the Appalachian Basin.
- Fred has developed widely employed stray gas investigation sampling, and monitoring protocols, and interim and long term
remediation measures. His methodologies have been adopted by the Marcellus Shale Coalition and the Pennsylvania Department of
Environmental Protection. Fred co-authored the first ever comprehensive manual for investigating and characterizing incidents
of stray gas migration: "Technical Measures For The Investigation And Mitigation Of Fugitive Methane Hazards In Areas Of Coal
Mining" and was a planning committee member for the only two stray gas forums convened in the USA:
by the United States Geological Survey in 2009 and the Groundwater Protection Council in 2012.
- ECHELON provides written reports of analytical data including interpretations of molecular and isotope geochemistry
data to identify gas origin and source. Data are evaluated and processed to determine thermal maturity, mixing, oxidation,
and other secondary processes for comparison with other gases.
- Additional services include:
- Sample acquisition for molecular & isotopic analyses.
- Analyses, interpretation, and data base management of pre-drill and post-drill samples for molecular and isotopic analyses.
- Guidance & oversight for site characterization including soil gas and groundwater sampling & monitoring programs.
- Guidance & oversight for installation of interim and permanent stray gas remediation strategies.
- Guidance on the development of mudgas sampling programs
- Data evaluation/processing & interpretations of gas well mudgas geochemistry.
- Education and training on emergency response preparedness for stray gas migration incidents.
- Education and training on the application of geochemical data to identify the origin of gases, elements of site characterization, monitoring, and remediation. Training can be tailored to specific client requirements.
- ECHELON is affiliated with professional firms to provide full service for implementation of pre-drill sampling programs, site characterization, mapping, monitoring, and remediation for stray gas migration.