Fred Baldassare, P.G.
Consulting Services - experience and expertise in gas and groundwater geochemistry
- Fred has more than 25 years of experience as a geologist, and 20 years of experience investigating more than
200 reported incidents of stray gas migration. He is an experienced investigator, and researcher who has helped
pioneer the application and advancement of isotope geochemistry to identify and distinguish the origin of different
microbial and thermogenic gases in the Appalachian Basin. Fred was the lead author for the Pennsylvania's Oil
& Gas regulations (25 PA. CODE CH. 78, §78,89) for stray gas incident response, the Marcellus Shale Coalition's
technical guidance manual for stray gas investigations, and co-author of the first comprehensive manual for
investigating and characterizing incidents of stray gas migration: Technical Measures For The Investigation And
Mitigation Of Fugitive Methane Hazards In Areas of Coal Mining. Fred has authored and co-authored professional papers
for peer reviewed journals on the application of isotope geochemistry, taught and lectured nationally, and at
his alma maters, Penn State University and The University of Pittsburgh.
- ECHELON provides written reports of analytical data including interpretations of molecular and isotope
geochemistry to identify gas origin and source. ECHELON has developed a comprehensive approach for evaluating
geochemical and other investigative data. Gas and groundwater geochemistry are synthesized and interpreted to
determine gas origin, thermal maturity, mixing, and secondary processes including mixing, oxidation and diffusion.
- Additional services include:
- Sample acquisition for molecular & isotopic analyses.
- Analyses, interpretation, and data base management of pre-drill and post-drill samples for molecular and isotopic analyses.
- Guidance & oversight for site characterization including soil gas and groundwater sampling & monitoring programs.
- Guidance & oversight for installation of interim and permanent stray gas remediation strategies.
- Guidance on the development of mudgas sampling programs
- Data evaluation/processing & interpretations of gas well mudgas geochemistry.
- Education and training on emergency response preparedness for stray gas migration incidents.
- Education and training on the application of geochemical data to identify the origin of gases, elements of site characterization, monitoring, and remediation. Training can be tailored to specific client requirements.
- ECHELON is affiliated with professional firms to provide full service for implementation of pre-drill sampling programs, site characterization, mapping, monitoring, and remediation for stray gas migration.